创新区 & 局部控制
2022 创新区 Adoption Process
ean ISD first became a 创新区 recognized by the Texas Education Agency in December 2016. During the 2016-17 school year, the District assembled a committee composed of teachers, 父母, administrators and community members to develop ean ISD’s Plan for Innovation and 局部控制. ean ISD’s 董事会 of Trustees approved this original Plan in December 2016. With assistance from the District Leadership Team, the 董事会 of Trustees adopted amendments to the Plan in April 2020.
根据州法律, a 创新区 plan can be in effect for five years; the ean ISD Plan for Innovation and 局部控制 expired in the 2021-22 school year.
3月10日, 2022年公众会议, the District Leadership Team reviewed the proposed plan and approved it by a majority vote of the committee members. 在4月12日, 2022年特别会议, the 董事会 of Trustees unanimously approved the ean ISD Plan for Innovation and 局部控制 for 2022-2027.
ean ISD 创新区 Plan, Posted online on March 11, 2022 and Adopted by the 董事会 of Trustees on April 12, 2022.
The District Leadership Team (DLT) in consultation with the administration proposed amendments to ean ISD's Plan for Innovation and 局部控制, which was first adopted in 2016. The amendments were developed, discussed and unanimously recommended by the DLT. The amendments apply additional innovative governance guidelines to the unique, local and instructional needs of ean ISD students and community. In accordance with Texas Administrative Code Rule §102.1307, a timeline was followed for consideration and adoption of these amendments:
2月. 25, 2020 – 董事会 of Trustees passed a resolution to notify TEA of intent to amend plan
2月. 28 , 2020– Amended plan was posted on the district website for at least 30 days
March 2, 2020 – DLT held public meeting to unanimously recommend the amendments
March 10, 2020 – 董事会 reviewed the amended plan as approved and recommended by the DLT
March 31, 2020 – 董事会 of Trustees unanimously adopted the amended plan
April 1, 2020 – TEA was notified and the amendments went into effect
ean ISD pursued the designation due to the following benefits:
- 灵活性: Districts will have the flexibility to implement practices similar to charter schools, including exemptions from certain mandates including the uniform school start date and required minutes of instruction.
- 当地的控制: Districts decide which flexibilities best suit their local needs.
- 自主性: Districts must submit a district of innovation plan to the commissioner of education, but approval is not required.
After numerous discussions, the DOI committee identified the following exemptions on which to focus:
- maintain reasonable class sizes in grades K-4 of 22:1 or less, except in rare and extenuating circumstances
- determine a flexible school start date
- allow unique alternatives to educator certification for distinctive courses or needs
- adjust instructional minutes and school-day length
- implement a local teacher and administrator appraisal system
日历, which was part of the discussion of flexible start dates, was also approved for the 2017-18 school year.